Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Blogs in the Military

I am an active duty member of the U.S. Navy and currently working on my Master's Degree in Interactive Technology at the University of Alabama. I am starting a blog on how the military utilizes blogs. These days information has just about as much power as the military force if not more. Information plays an important role both in influencing society and conducting successful military operations. With the development of the Internet, more and more channels of information transfer are emerging. E-mails, social networks, blogs, and YouTube have become an integral part of our lives. Despite being intended as a socializing tool, these resources can be very influential in political and even military terms. How do you think the military might utilize a blog?

2 comments:

  1. I suppose blogs could be used similar to Commanders or Senior Enlisted advisors columns in base/post news letters. I imagine the web 2.0 stuff must be a comsec nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly,
    I suspect that the military will use blogs the same way it is using Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, and YouTube the way the rest of media, people and organizations are: to get the message out there to their followers, supporters and even, their detractors. I believe it will be at the level you call Macro level. It will probably done in very broad strokes and designed to shape a message or point to drive home.

    I like your blog and posts. It is very interesting and thought provoking.

    Chuck

    ReplyDelete